So 2015 was an exciting and fantastic year. But it's not time to rest on my laurels quite yet.
In the past, I've been nervous about sharing my goal stuff. I'd think to myself, "What if I tell everyone I'm going to do something, and then I fail?" The truth is, self, that telling people you're going to do something actually makes it more likely to occur - at least, it does tend to be a psychological motivator. It's easier to give up on something when you don't have people counting on you to make it happen.
And now I DO have people counting on me to make things happen. I've been talking about Heartcatchers for almost a year now (for those ready to point out my mistake, yes, we did add an 's' to the name!). More than eight hundred people have gotten their hands on Mechalarum over the past two years, and readers are fomenting a revolution if they don't get the sequel in a reasonable amount of time. And I'm making ongoing, public commitments to blow the launch of DreamSail Games' first release, Blade Ballet, out of the water.
People caring is a beautiful thing. Every day, I'm immensely thankful that people care about the work I'm doing and the creations I'm bringing into the world. And that they keep reminding me that they do - because it can be easy to shrink too far into humility, to wonder whether the things I'm making are 'good enough' to share the stage with all the amazing craft out there. You guys rock!
I'll be talking about my individual goals in depth throughout the year, but for now, here's a taste of what I have planned for 2016.
- Publish Heartcatchers. The game mechanics are finished, the Brooklyn Indie Games publishing contract is signed, and the awesome art has been approved. I'll be making a huge announcement on that front come Monday. Stay tuned!
- Publish Witherwelt. This one is scarier. I've pinned down an awesome editor, and I'm in talks with a fabulous artist, but I haven't finished writing the draft yet. Self-publishing books is a big investment that can take years to pay off - doing so doesn't yet make great sense from a financial perspective, so I have to trust my gut and my passion about the story to pay the dues to bring it to life. I'm looking to find a way to support the sequel in a similar way to what I did for Mechalarum. Will keep you all posted.
- Launch Blade Ballet. Our game gets funner and more beautiful every single day. Every week when we play the latest build, I'm amazed by our progress. This project will also have a huge announcement this week :)
- Prep at least two more games for release. I already have one that's just about ready to go out the door - just needs a light appearance overhaul. Once Heartcatchers and the next game are out, I'll need something game design related to sink my teeth into. Plenty of ideas, just have to choose one...
- Grow my NYC Local Multiplayer Gamers group. I love playing games, and I especially love playing games with people. This group comes out of a philosophy of community and creativity that's been growing in my mind for a while. Excited to spend time nurturing it this year.
- Take a break. I'm going to need it!
Sounds like it's going to be a good year. Hope you'll be joining me on my quest!
Thoughts? Share them below!